Saturday, January 12, 2013

So that happened...

Yeah, I know it's been since like October, but I'll be honest, I don't even know where to start blogging this monster of a trip. After three months, eleven countries, thousands of dollars and countless buses/planes/trains (just kidding, I counted - it's 34, or about 185 hours of my life I'll never see again), it's hard to pick a jumping off point.

So, let's begin at the beginning and go until we come to the end.

For me, the beginning happened to be Kuala Lumpur. I had originally intended on only staying a night, then heading to Brunei, but sometimes the best laid plans manage to get barfed all over. What actually happened was I ended up fainting on the flight and felt so sick that I stayed an extra day in the city. The whole ordeal was really just foreshadowing the obscene amounts of bad luck I'd end up having throughout my holiday. But we'll get to that.

Since there's a metric butt load of tourist info about KL around the internet, I'll go ahead and keep this brief. (For you Americans, yes, a butt load is actually a unit of measurement in the metric system.) Obviously the first thing I did was go see Petronas Towers. Opted out of going to the top of them. I'd heard that it's a long wait, super expensive and the view isn't that awesome. This photo is from a park near the towers.

The monkeys actually stole this
statue from a nearby temple.
Also went to Batu Caves, which is not only a really popular tourist stop, but also a training ground for aspiring thief monkeys.

Since I missed my flight to Bandar Seri Begawan, the closest I could get to Brunei on the cheap was Miri, in Malaysian Borneo. What a shithole that place is. Literally the only thing to do in Miri is get out. I managed to get to a national park a couple hours south to try to salvage the first week of my trip. Then almost get stranded out there and had to hitch a ride back into town.

Pictures in caves never turn out well. They really need better lighting.

Being 10ft away from an orang's pretty rad until you realize
how potentially gruesome the situation is.
The last interesting thing I did in Malaysia was near Kuching. Kuching is particularly popular with tourists for its proximity to one of the orangutan sanctuaries. Fun fact: overnight buses are never as comfortable or short as you think they're going to be.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. So expect another update around April. Kidding. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment